Some discussion about Casual Cosplay

What do you think is the definition of Casual Cosplay? Here are some discussions about it.

PSY-chan:

Yes, the consensus is that it involves wearing things on hand, or easily found items, that are not actually worn by said character. It is not the same as wearing casual clothes that are canon (i.e. BBC Sherlock, Durara, etc.). I think that distinction is important.

I have done casual cosplaying three times and I...didn't enjoy it. Only one of my outfits resembled something the character would have worn. The downside of casual cosplaying is that you may not always be recognizable. So if it is important to you, stick with canon casual cosplaying. You'll be both accurate and recognizable (maybe). And probably more physically comfortable.

I know people who don't make their own costumes, and they are certainly cosplayers. My second and third cosplays were commissioned, too. That argument seems elitist and annoying. My only problem with bought cosplays (the manufactured kind) is that they are overpriced for their quality. Anywho, haters and elitists gonna hate...

 

Kell-chan:

The phrase "casual cosplay" when said by me or someone in my immediate group generally refers to the level of comfort rather than the ability to pass as street clothes. (i.e., "We should wear complicated cosplays on Saturday, and more casual cosplays on Sunday.")

 

I always thought that wearing a character wig with non-canon street clothes was referred to as "closet cosplay". I don't think I've personally heard the phrase in terms of how "serious" a cosplayer is.

 

Eau de Decus:

We are all cosplaying, we are all having fun, but there are obviously different levels of involvement in workmanship and I do not know any other terms to describe them. Regardless of involvement, it's still called cosplay because, well, that's what we're all doing.

 

The terms and labels seem rather pointless. Hell, I don't even know why we bother using them, but I guess people need them for whatever reason. A "casual cosplayer" is the same as a ..."non-casual"...whatever you want to call it. A cosplayer is a cosplayer is a cosplayer. Now go wear your damn costumes and be happy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FORTNITE: SAVE THE WORLD REVIEW

Cosplay costume

Totally Spies Inspired Outfit